Saturday, January 27, 2024

Art Dulgov, Associate Warden, MCC San Diego

As the Associate Warden at MCC San Diego from 12/2017 to September 2020, Art Dulgov exercised control over and provided oversight of managers for both Operations and Programs concurrently for a six-month period and separately for approximately one year each.  I have acted in capacity of the Warden during absences, and frequently advised the Warden on matters of institutional safety, security, policies, programs, and operations.   I advised the Warden on personnel issues, administrative matters, as well as decisions involving the custody, treatment, training, and release of inmates.  I have comprehensive knowledge of institution supplements, national policies, and program regulations.  I have experience training subordinates, coordinating functions, directing activities, and evaluating the performance of supervisors.  I have knowledge and experience of correctional operations and ensuring directives are carried out in accordance with policy.


I reviewed and coordinated the development of plans and programs instituted from the Regional Office.  I worked closely with Executive Staff to ensure effective implementation and management of policies and objectives that comply with Bureau goals.


In 2019 the United States Attorney for the Southern District of California awarded me the Excellence in the Pursuit of Justice award for my work with Assistant United States Attorney, AUSA, Border Patrol, Immigration Customs Enforcement, and Homeland Security Investigations, for implementing the President's Zero Tolerance Border Initiative.   Since my arrival in San Diego I also supervised Correctional Services, Trust Fund and Business office through Superior Program Reviews.   In 2018 I designed and implemented the Warden's Leadership Program at MCC San Diego.


I was the Prison Rape Elimination Act, PREA, Compliance Manager (during the PREA audit all standards were met or exceeded), Public Information Officer, PIO, American Correctional Association, ACA, Accreditation Manager, All standards were met with two waivers, both of which had been in place for years due to institutional design) General Accounting Office Audit of Female Offender Coordinator, and Administrative Duty Officer.   I maintained oversight when we passed the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care, AAAHC.  I was the Labor Management Relations Chair and supervised Environmental Management System second-party certifications.  In my role as Associate Warden and Acting Warden I provided administrative oversight of Correctional Services, Correctional Programs, Unit Management, Human Resources, Computer Services, Food Service, DHO, Employees Club, Affirmative Employment, Business Office, Trust Fund, Environmental and Safety Compliance, Education, and Recreation.  I was the first- or second-line supervisor to approximately 230 employees and provide leadership to managers as they planned and implemented institutional goals.


As the Administrative Duty Officer, I ensured after hours situations were handled appropriately and were directed by policy.  I provided guidance to and briefed the CEO on matters related to safety and security of staff and inmates. I was the advisor to the Warden on all matters of strategic importance regarding security, policies, and procedures.   My previous experience at FCC Tucson provided me Executive experience at an FCI, Penitentiary, and Federal Prison Camp.


As Associate Warden and Acting Warden, I lead by example focusing on safety, security, inmate accountability.  I had direct and in-depth experience working with public agencies, I have managed an institution during times significant budget turmoil, while effectively implementing organizational objectives.  I operated the institution with integrity and utilized communication that involves a variety of stakeholders which creates a collaborative working environment and builds consensus.  I developed and implemented policies and procedures in support of the operational mission.


As an Associate Warden I frequently review reports from internal external audits then identify deficiencies, weaknesses, or noncompliance and develop corrective actions which are implemented and evaluated.  I prepared reports, and correspondence on a variety of correctional issues that are submitted to Executive Staff, Regional Administrators, and Agency officials in Central Office.   I analyzed issues and prepared reports, for review by the Executive Staff prior to submission to the Regional and Central Offices.  I prepared briefings for Department Heads and Executive Staff.  I worked with the Business Administrator to develop a comprehensive budget that meets the needs of all departments.  I worked with Department Heads and Executive Staff to ensure evaluations, Staff Assists and Operational Reviews are timely, complete and accurate.  All Reviews were evaluated and corrective actions implemented.

Advantages of Reducing Restrictive Housing and Prisons

Introduction: The current approach to incarceration, characterized by widespread use of restrictive housing and overreliance on prisons, fac...